Build a social hub in the time it takes to watch an episode of Game of Thrones.
We get it – there are hundreds of reasons to create a social hub (we’ve even listed a few for you here), but the time and energy it takes to make this happen isn’t always worth the effort. We feel your pain, which is why we’ve been working hard to build (and continue to build) easy to deploy Apps that let you create a social experience in under an hour with little to no dev work required. Don’t believe us? Not a problem, we’ll walk you through some quick how-to’s and show you just how easy it is!
Use social hubs to increase time on site and highlight compelling content for your community.
Here at Livefyre, we have a bit of a Game of Thrones obsession (who doesn’t?), so we decided that the upcoming season 5 premiere is the perfect reason to create a demo social hub. As a friendly reminder, each of these Apps can also be used stand-alone, but placing multiple Apps on a page with varied levels of engagement options is what truly makes your page a hub.
Everyone is talking about Game of Thrones on social media, but as the season premiere creeps closer, buzz about certain characters will inevitably become louder than others. Capture and rank this social media activity by using Livefyre’s Trending and Curate Apps on a single page. Our Trending App uses content count and post rate to determine which Collections across your site are most active.
Show your community who’s hot right now by creating a Livefyre Trending App in 6 easy steps:
- Select your Site and create your Collections (use the Comments Collection type). You should have one Collection for each topic you’d like to cover. Collection titles will display within the trending App by default, so name Collections with titles that will make sense to your community.In our “Game of Thrones” example, we wanted to show people which main characters were trending right now. To do so, we created 10 Collections, one per main character ((Khaleesi, Arya, Tyrion, etc.), each containing Curate rules with specific hashtags and keywords relating to the name of the character. We’ll be pulling the top 5 hottest Collections into the Trending App.
- By default, the Trending App will pull in the top N hottest Collections across the site you’ve selected. Limit the App to a specific subset of Collections by applying a Collection tag to only those Collections you’d like included.
We used the Collection tag “GOT” to ensure only our 10 Collections were included.
- Once you’ve created your Collections and added the Collection tags, navigate to Livefyre’s Apps page, select +New App and then Trending App. When creating your App, be sure to select the same site you used to create your Collections in Step 1.
- From the App Designer page, select your Collection tag (in our case, GOT) to filter to the desired Collections, and you’re ready to go!
- If you’d like, customize your App further by using Livefyre’s additional style and configuration options. Options include font size, brand color, and the number of Collections shown in the App.
- Once the App is customized to your liking, hit Publish then copy/paste the embed code onto your page.
Livefyre Expert Tip: Trending is meant to showcase what is popular in this moment. When creating your Collections, be sure to create rules that will pull in a constant stream of content or the Trending App will have no content to display.
Some GOT fans love the HBO show but may have never read the original material, while others might refuse to watch a show that isn’t 100% true to the book. Either way – your community has opinions. Why not collect and showcase these opinions with a poll? Polls are an easy way to gauge community sentiment and get users engaging on your site.
Create a Poll in 4 short steps:
- Navigate to the Polls section of Studio, select your site, and click the +New Poll button
- Add a title, question, and up to 10 answers.
We chose to add only 2 answers to our poll because we felt that “I don’t care about Game of Thrones” was simply not a valid response.
- Customize the Vote button to align with your brand coloring and, if you’d like, add a related link to the Poll as well.
- Press Create and voila – Poll created. Simply grab the embed code to add to your site. Once users begin voting, you can view Poll results at the top of the Poll creation page beneath the Results section.
Livefyre Expert Tip: Consider adding a related link to your Poll. This option could be useful if you have an interesting article related to the Poll’s subject matter, and you’d like to encourage readers to navigate to this page after voting.
Aggregate the best GOT content social media has to offer with Livefyre’s Media Wall App. Invite users to participate by offering the ability to submit content directly into your Media Wall, making the experience truly interactive.
- To get started create a Collection and add Curate Rules to automatically pull in the content you’d like to showcase in the Media Wall. Or, if you’d prefer to handpick each individual piece of content, use Curate Search.
- Navigate to Livefyre’s App Designer page, and select the Media Wall option.
- Use the provided configuration options to style your Media Wall.
- Invite your community to contribute content to the Media Wall directly with Livefyre’s new Allow user posts setting. Select whether you’d like to allow text, text and photos, or photos only to be posted to your Media Wall. Please note: You must already have Livefyre.js on your page if you’d like to use this optional feature.
- Once all configurations are to your liking, publish the App and, as with Polls and Trending, copy the embed code to add the App to your page.
Livefyre Expert Tip: If you would like to take advantage of the Allow user posts setting, we recommend using a Collection that has premoderation turned OFF. Using a Collection that is not premoderated will allow content to appear directly on the wall after a user presses Submit, and results in a better user experience.
Social hubs for live events: cover an event even if you can’t be there
No need to send an editor to every event you’d like to cover because most events generate a ton of content on social media. Use geolocation in your Curate rule to automatically pull in the best user generated content (UGC) from an event and become the go-to destination for updates. Have editors on the ground? Curate in their posts as well to have a mix of editorial content and UGC.
Social hubs for evergreen content: your readers have been more places, tried more things, and have more opinions than you
You need content that’s always relevant, but don’t always have the time to do the research, gather media, and write an article. Ask your readers to submit their photos, opinions, or tips – you know they have them! Then you can create an evergreen social hub on the best places to travel in the Spring, the latest must-have fashion accessory, or tips for getting your car through another New England thaw. There are endless possibilities.
Social hubs for internal use: foster team pride without staging a pep rally
Use Curate to create a social hub of your company’s social media accounts and supplement it with your employees’ (work related) Tweets and Instagram posts. This can be a great way to showcase company culture.
Using Livefyre Apps in different ways
Keep in mind, this is just one example of a low-effort social hub you can easily put together and deploy. As we mentioned above, each of these Apps can also be used individually. Add a Poll, Trending App, or Media Wall to an already created page for an extra layer of engagement.
Our Game of Thrones example uses only out-of-the-box Apps created directly within Studio, but if you have the extra time and development resources, go bigger and better! Livefyre offers technical documentation on a multitude of Apps and APIs that you can mix and match to create an experience that’s perfectly tailored to your community.