Allow in-line comments with your content.
Sidenotes allow users to highlight and annotate passages, directly in-line with your content, creating an engaging and collaborative discussion that is targeted to your site. Readers can sidenote any part of an article, from individual words, to paragraphs and images. Sidenotes can be shared to Twitter and Facebook as a means to bring friends, followers, and experts into the conversation. Users may also upvote Sidenotes, to bring the most helpful content to the top of the list. (Sidenotes sorts content by user votes, presenting notes with the highest upvotes minus downvotes total at the top of the list.)
|To sidenote, click the icon that appears at the end of paragraphs and images, or highlight any part of a paragraph and click the “pencil” icon that appears. When you highlight a section of the article, you can also share it to Facebook and Twitter.
Note: On mobile devices, landscape mode is not supported, and Sidenotes may be written only for paragraphs, and not for individual text snippets.
With Sidenotes, users can:
- Respond to any part of a paragraph, by highlighting the text they wish to comment on, then clicking the pencil icon to write their Sidenote.
- Add Sidenotes to a paragraph, by clicking the Sidenotes icon that appears at the end of the paragraph, and adding their comment.
- Comment on an image, by clicking the Sidenotes icon at the corner of the image, and adding their comment.
- Share text to Facebook or Twitter, by selecting text, then clicking the Share to Facebook or Share to Twitter icon. Sharing highlighted content allows users to edit the text that will be shared, and sends a link to the original content with the share.
- Read others’ comments, by clicking the Livefyre thought bubble that shows the number of comments included for any part of the page.
- Reply to existing Sidenotes.
- Vote on the helpfulness of notes, and thereby push more helpful notes to the top of the list of annotations.
- Share specific Sidenotes to Facebook or Twitter by clicking the ellipses that appear when hovering over the note.
For more information on available features and customizations, please see Core Feature Chart and Custom Styling Chart. For more information on integration, please see App Integrations > Livefyre Sidenotes Integration.